Thursday, August 16, 2012

I'm Not Cheap.

I went to Starbucks today with my good friend Taylor, and when we were leaving a man asked me on a date. At first I was very surprised, and since I didn't know anything about him (including his name), I politely refused his offer. For some reason, I couldn't shrug it off all day today. I thought about it and prayed about it, and I realized that his offer made me feel cheap.

This man knew absolutely nothing about me. He didn't know about my faith. He didn't know that I graduated in the top ten percent of my class. He didn't know that I'm a youth leader for middle school and high school age students at my church. He didn't know anything about me that mattered. He didn't even know my name. All he knew was that I have a blonde friend and I like Starbucks. That left only one explanation as to why he would ask me out... physical. (And before you ask, yes, I was dressed modestly.)

That's what made me feel gross. Did he really expect me to say yes when I didn't even know his name, let alone anything about his character? It was insulting to think about. How cheap and easy does he think I am? In reality I'm not easy. I have standards. I wouldn't say yes to a man unless I knew at the very minimum that he was a respectable person. Oh, and his NAME.

I'll close with something I read out of Proverbs this morning:  "Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised." - Proverbs 31:30.

1 comment: